Fancy something other than the traditional Christmas cake this year? Well how about these delicious chocolate cupcakes (as made by The Chrismologist's Wife and The Chrismologist's Daughter)?
You will need...
You then need to...
- Preheat the oven to 170oC (325oF) Gas 3
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a free standing electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth, but do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, decorate with chocolate icing, edible stars or edible gold spray (as shown above).
- Eat and enjoy!